Monday 7 September 2009

The legendary cats of Japan

Last night we watched a programme on ITV1 about cats and the human relationship with them. It was in a similar format to one about dogs which was shown last year, and was quite interesting, if a bit "sugary" and "yukky" in parts.

One interesting part of the programme featured the legendary cats of Japan - the "lucky cat" Meneki Neko and the "ghost" or "demon" cat Bake Neko.

The Maneki Neko is found in sculptures across Japan and is believed to bring good luck and good fortune, and is depicted with a raised front paw. I had seen this cat sculpture in Oriental supermarkets when I have been on holiday, and wondered what it represented. Now I know! Next time we visit an Oriental store I will be buying my own Maneki Neko, as a cat lover I find them quite cute, and it will be a good companion for my two Egyptian cat sculptures!

No comments: