Saturday 10 May 2008

The Mighty Deltic

The Mighty Deltic in Pickering


Readers may wonder why I titled this latest post "The Mighty Deltic". Well, the answer is simple.

Today we went to Pickering, and it was Diesel Gala weekend on the North York Moors Railway (visit them here) Usually the trains on here are steam hauled, with a few exceptions, but this weekend is given over to the diesels.

If I had known about the special event, I would have had my camera to post some video, but I didn't so I'll have to post some photos taken on my Mum's mobile phone instead :-)

The one engine I had chance to photograph was a huge green Deltic just before it was attached to the carriages in order to leave Pickering. Seeing these superb locos made me think of the vile, horrible, cold things we have to put with on our railways now - namely the Class 185 built in Germany by Siemens, it is a foul train, putting it mildly, but the main services from our local station are operated by these monstrosities. I wish it were the Deltics operating from here instead!

Close up of the Deltic's front


The Deltic was built for use on the East Coast Main Line - however it was replaced on this route by the Inter City 125 in the 1970s.

The Deltic leaving Pickering station


There is a Deltic Preservation Society for those who like the Mighty Deltic, they can be visited here.

No comments: