Sunday 3 August 2008

Unfair Dismissal

Sorry for the lack of postings recently. The story below explains why it has been so quiet on here:

My latest job lasted exactly four weeks. I (along with a load of others) officially became employed by ***** ******** on 30th June. The ****** chain was to open a new place here, and we were taken on a few weeks before to enable us to be trained up in various parts of the country. I got Meadowhall for four days of the first week.

Meadowhall was fun, I worked with a great team and coming from South Yorkshire originally, it was like going home for me.

During the second week I had five days in Gateshead, which I didn't like very much. The manager of the new Scarborough ********** was, apparently, impressed with how I was doing. The third week consisted of three days in Gateshead and a stay in a Travelodge, which I hate!

The Scarborough ******** was scheduled to open on 22nd July, and teething problems followed. The pot washing machine did not work, so dishes had to be washed by hand. At one point it had to close owing to sewage problems.

On 25th July I spent 12 hours (with a half hour break) washing pots because the machine still did not work. We took it in turns because no rubber gloves were provided and prolonged exposure to the chemicals was bad for your hands. It was impossible to get some of the things clean because they were greasy and we could not wash at a hot enough temperature to shift the grease. One of the kitchen staff was complaining about the poor hygiene.

On 26th July I was ill. My Mum phoned in three hours before my shift was due to start to tell the manager.

On 27th July I phoned up to find out my shift time for the following day. The manager ummed and aahed and then said 11:30-9:00.

On 28th July I turned up in time for my shift and went to look at the weekly rota. My name was missing. The same had happened to the guy who had complained about poor hygiene - and he had been sacked.

I was called into the office and told that it was "unacceptable" to be ill and they were "letting me go". They also said that they did not need to give notice because I was only "probationary". So I had been sacked without any warning and I had done nothing wrong, we had worked damned hard for that company and now two of us had been sacked!

This is a company which employs idle Poles who do not lift a finger yet keep their jobs, whilst hard working Brits are sacked without warning.

No comments: