Sunday 6 April 2008

Grand National

It was the Grand National today - Britain's greatest horse race which is held annually at Aintree in Liverpool.

I have backed horses most years since the late 1980s, most of the time I've won nothing but occasionally I've had a return on a horse which was placed (four are placed in the National) when I've had an each way bet (I never place any other kind, I would never waste money on backing something to win!) and on three occasions I have backed the winner - including today. This year's winner was Comply or Die, ridden by Timmy Murphy.

In 1994 I backed Miinnehoma, ridden by Richard Dunwoody.

Miinnehoma and Richard Dunwoody win the 1994 Grand National

In 2005 I backed Hedgehunter, who was ridden by Ruby Walsh.



Hedgehunter, ridden by Ruby Walsh, winning the 2005 Grand National



Comply or Die and Timmy Murphy win the 2008 Grand National

The Grand National is the only horse race I bet on.

No comments: